Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Week 10

This week we looked at Japanese and Manga comics. For class I had read some of Osamu Tezuka's work. As I read them I noticed that something he liked to play with was gender and relationships, which is something that is still not commonly addressed in American comics. I also noticed that a lot of the stories were very outlandish and fantasy driven. I always had this kind of problem with Japanese work as I had like many other artists found the visual style interesting, but unlike other artists had trouble grasping their cultural influences within their work.

So for me there is always this kind of mental disconnect when it comes to viewing something from a completely different culture. Not to say that I don't find it interesting, but it takes more commitment to really completely understand the work itself.
I did find the stories interesting however, as outlandish as they were, because of how different they were from our traditional stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment